Thursday 11 July 2013

I'm writing this from my hotel room whilst hopefully all the incredible Day Zero riders are tucked up in bed and the rest of you riders are starting to doze off and dream of that 5am start - bet you can't wait.

Today saw the crew head out from sunny Radlett arriving at our base camp at various times.

Mike The Mechanic
 - otherwise known as the flying dutchman headed off with Nigel in the lorry once all the bikes and equipment had been loaded. I do have one question though. They left 2.5 hours before anyone and arrived 3 hours after everyone. So either they decided Versailles sounded like Valencia or they sat on the beach and chilled for a few hours. Either way we breathed a huge sigh of relief when they swung in to the car park.

I feel it is only right to dedicate this next section to the real heroes of today. The guys that have already put their bodies on the line and the main ride hasn't even started. No I'm am not being sarcastic this time I am actually doffing my cap to a special group. First off are the dynamic duo of Bern and Richard who arrived at the hotel having already ridden 223 miles.

Amazing that they can almost look suave after a quick wash and a few beers. Mind you judging by how Bern was swinging from the walls tonight he definitely had a diet coke overload....

Obviously I cannot let this moment go without talking about our Day Zero gang. Without doubt this was the hardest day zero ride ever undertaken. It was the longest and had the most climbs but you would never have known by how they looked arriving at dinner. A truly amazing effort by this group of wonderful riders and supporters of the charity.

Tonight consisted of a light dinner a bit of banter and then off to bed. The biggest lightweight wasn't even someone who rode. Yes Mr Landau you have been outed - sneaking off to bed earlier than the two 15yr olds. I guess all that strenuous exercise setting up the rest stops must have taken their toll.


Doesn't he look good here although the banner is giving him a run for his money in terms of style - joking Phil honest!!!

Right time for me to take my meds and get some kip before heading off to meet the ride at Gard De Nord tomorrow morning. A quick huge thanks to Tony Moss for rescuing me by breaking in to my house and finding the connectors that I need to hook up my feed each day. You would think that after 4 years of taking artificial feeds and hydration I would remember what to take. Oh and by the way if you see an image of him on Crimewatch - don't ring in I gave him permission...

I hope that you have been keeping track of the updates via twitter. Don't forget to look us up on @3C's_charity You will find a few vine videos posted. By the end of the ride everyone will have featured in some shape or form on our social media feeds.

Till next time
x

No comments:

Post a Comment